Estimaged Reading Time: 7 minutes read
Last Updated on December 29, 2021 by A. Scott, BSDH
This page contains affiliate links. See the full disclosure here.
As an expat living and working abroad, you may find yourself in need of a way to top up your income. A side hustle is not only a good way to make more money and top up your income, but it can be great fun too.
1. Teach English Online
Working in an online environment provides lots of flexibility and can provide good income. And teaching English as a foreign language is a fun and rewarding way to do just that, while working from home.
- If you would like to teach children in China online in a fun and dynamic environment, you should consider VIPKid.
While having a mentor to help you through the application process with VIPKid is not mandatory, it is recommended. If you would like to book me as your mentor with VIPKid, be sure to enter my referral code when applying: ANGEL1285.
If you use my referral code, please reach out to me so that I can support you through the hiring process.
- If you would prefer to teach adults and can commit to at least 10 hours per week regularly, then you should consider HAWO American Academy.
Never taught English before? Earn a certificate to teach English with an online TEFL course.
In order to teach English as a foreign language effectively, you should take a high-quality TEFL course of at least 120 hours. In addition, some companies also require at least a Bachelor’s degree. Below are a few nice options to choose from.
Online TEFL Courses
- myTEFL.com offers both onsite and online TEFL training at different levels. They also offer job placement assistance.
- Looking to try before you buy? Try this TEFLPros program for two days for free!
The TEFL Academy
- The TEFL Academy is another great option for an online course. Students can choose to study the course entirely online or combined with 20 hours of face-to-face training.
The TEFL Institute of Ireland
- The TEFL Institute of Ireland – Fully Regulated TEFL Courses TEFL.ie
(Use the code FUNDING for 10% off your course)
2. Teach on Outschool
Design a course and teach it online to children or adults. You need to be at least 18 and reside full-time in any of the 50 United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, or the United Kingdom.
The average Outschool teacher earns around $35 an hour, so this expat side hustle is rewarding in more ways than one. Learn more at Outschool.
3. Get paid real money to write
There are companies that pay bloggers to write articles. You can find the list of companies here.
4. Listen to radio stations and earn money
This app allows you to listen to radio stations and earn points that can be transferred to real money. Learn more here.
5. Learn a new skill
If you have extra time on your hands, why not learn a new skill? You can take accredited and reasonably priced online courses with Cudoo and apply your newly gained skills to a side hustle.
6. Test out digital products for money
Allow yourself to be recorded while moving through digital programs and websites so that the designers can see what needs to be improved based on your experiences. Learn more at usertesting.com.
7. Video record your shopping experiences
ProductTube lets you use your smartphone to record your shopping trips for certain products for money. You will need to narrate how you make your decisions about what to buy. You can use your cell phone to record and upload directly to producttube.com. The compensation is in the form of Amazon gift certificates.
8. Be an online mock juror
If you participate in the mock cases given by these sites, you give lawyers an idea about how real jurors might actually vote. There are various options, but likely require you to be at least 18 and a U.S. citizen. Check out eJury, VirtualJury, and Online Verdict.